Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Farm Fresh Goodness

I LOVE going to the farmer's market here in town.  There's one close to our house and lately I've been taking Elijah on Thursday mornings when it's open.  Sometime I'll post pictures of the market itself, but it's too hard to juggle buying veggies, pushing a stroller, and taking pictures in the very, very crowded market!  For now, here's a picture our our haul.  Not a lot is cheap in Brazil compared with the States, but produce certainly is a good deal! 

For about $11 I got:
1 bunch of bananas
2 melons
2 cucumbers
2 peppers
6 potatoes
2 sweet potatoes
1 large zucchini
5 carrots
2 heads of garlic
2 big heads of broccoli
2 huge heads of lettuce
1 papaya
30 small apples
9 tomatoes
2 tangerines

I fed Elijah his breakfast as I sorted through the produce.  I roasted the sweet potatoes, potatoes, and zucchini in the oven and them made them into puree/froze for Elijah.  Chopped up the melons to eat and made some into puree.  Pureed the papaya (Elijah loves it for breakfast!), blanched the broccoli for two different dishes I"m going to make this week, threw together some homemade applesauce with some of the apples, and washed the lettuce.  All in about 45 minutes.  I was highly efficient...probably all of the extra energy from the high of getting such a great deal :)

I'm definitely going to miss all of the farm fresh cheap goodies from the market while we're gone!

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Oh man that is a STEAL!!!!!!!!!! You will never produce for that price here. SO LUCKY!! Your blog title made me laugh b/c we actually have a grocery store called Farm Fresh here. But it's not cheap at all!

NBlessing said...

Wow! What great produce finds! You mentioned it is difficult to juggle everything when you go to the market. And you have a big trip coming up where you'll be passing through several airports. Have you considered a versatile baby carrier? I have a mei tai I made, and love it! Grocery shopping is so much easier with the little guy on my back! Since Elijah and any future babies of yours are destined to be long and lanky, you might look at the Boba 3g carrier. It can be used from birth to 45lbs, attaches to mom or dad with buckles, and has foot rest straps for baby that attach to the waist strap of the carrier. These help keep a longer toddlers legs in the proper position. If you have any questions, I'd be glad to help :) Oh, I'm super excited for your chance to become a birth instructor/doula as well! :D