Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I love having poppy seeds in my teeth...

Why? Because it means I have poppy seeds in my pantry! I love poppy seeds and they are one of the many very distinct flavors we don't have in Brazil that there is simply no substitution for. Peppermint is another. When my parents came down they offered to make a trip to the grocery store to pick up some items to bring down. I thought you might find it interesting to see what kind of things we requested.

Those 2 big silver bags are poppy seeds! 1 lb each! (I actually found them on amazon.com for a steal!). I always try to think of some items that you can use more than once, rather than just consume quickly. Hence the poppy seeds, cranberries, peppermint hard candies, and mint and butterscotch chips that can be tossed into recipes. The taco seasoning and ranch mix can be used countless times and we have already enjoyed many cups of coffee with the flavored creamers. The rest? (wing sauce, blueberry and cherry pie filling, york peppermint patties, altoids, deodorant, and Caesar dressing) Savor it as it goes down!


Also, being from the NY area, bagels are a way of life for us! I miss them a ton and try to make them at home (though they are not SO easy!). My parents made a last minute stop of the way and brought us some bagels! We froze them and are enjoying them a little at a time.


So, what am I going to do with 2 lb of poppy seeds? Bagels, dressings, muffins (already made these) and whatever else I can think of. I'm so glad to have a ton and not have to painfully ration out each scoop as it is used! And I'm also thankful my parents didn't get questioned by customs. How would they have convinced them that 2 lb of poppy seeds really are for innocent baking by an expat with some serious cravings???

2 comments:

Danielle said...

SO glad u got some of your fixes!!!! :)

Jeremy and Jamie said...

who knew how much you could miss poppy seeds!