Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Things are Heating Up!

Up until a few days ago, things have been shockingly calm around here.  We were sort of in the eye of the storm of moving.  But now it's crunch time.  Here are some details:


  • We are on a bit of a timetable first of all because the mission wants us in Boa Vista ASAP.  Second, because we are desperately trying to get out of transition and get settled.  Third because we've already sold our car and rented out our house and they people are waiting anxiously for their items!  And lastly, because I have roundtrip tickets to the US for my sister's wedding (May 18-27) from Boa Vista and so we have to get there before that.  (Jeyson and Elijah will stay in Brazil)  Yes, we could hold off to move until after the wedding, but then we won't get to Boa Vista until almost June!!!  So we have to push and just get there before the wedding!
  • Jeyson's checkride was just taking forever here in Goias.  So, instead he decided to travel to Sao Paulo for the test.  He took a 12 hour bus ride Friday night to Sao Paulo and arrived Saturday morning.  The plan was the take the test Saturday afternoon and turn back around Saturday night.  Alas, the weather was horrible so he couldn't do the check.  The check was rescheduled for right now, Sunday afternoon.  Jeyson doesn't have a car there, so he planned to get from his hotel to the airport by taxi.  Turns out he couldn't find one today on Sunday so as I called him he was on a 6 mile walk to the airport!!!  He was in great spirits though, so that's good...he's such a trouper who loves adventure!  If all goes well, he will take the test and come back home on a bus this evening.
  • We found renters for our house.  It is a young couple who is getting married this month.  They live in Sao Paulo and are from our friends' home-church there.  They are coming to live in Anapolis to serve as missionaries with a church here.  The pastor of the church here came and checked out our house for them and liked it.  He is helping us draft up a contract and the couple is just waiting for us to leave and will come to Anapolis.  
  • We still don't have our tickets, but our plan is for Jeyson to leave here in two weeks or less.  We've decided it would be best for me to wait behind with Elijah and only arrive about two weeks after Jeyson.  We think it would best to arrive and go straight to our rental home instead of being weeks out of a routine and guests in a house with a toddler.  Jeyson will pick out a house for us.  People are impressed that I trust a hubby enough to pick out a home.  I, however, have no doubts about it.  Jeyson will do a great job...probably better than me because I am so desperate I would live ANYWHERE right now :)  I am dreaming of arriving in Boa Vista in 4 weeks to a house with a crib set up for Elijah and our bed.  Even if we don't have a fridge or stove by then.  If we have our spot and our beds, I can survive.  Then, one week after that I'll head to the US for a week.  Once I get back, we'll make it our business to set up house and home!
  • Before leaving for Boa Vista we have a bunch of last minute things to do here to fix up our house to leave it in good shape for the renters.  That way the renters will also have to leave it good, making it easier to find new renters if necessary.  This however, means lots of running around for us!
  • Once Jeyson leaves, I'll have to spend the last two weeks clearing out our house of last minute things.  Giving the items that were purchased to the new owners and returning things that were lent to us for this makeshift period.   Canceling the internet, phone, etc.  Giving the house a good scrub for the renters.  I have no idea how I will take apart Elijah's borrowed crib!  I've never done that before, but I'll have to figure it out.  I may try to talk my mother-in-law into coming for a few days.  She's good at all of that stuff and/or watching Elijah while I do it.  She even is great at taking apart cribs.... I hope :)
Honestly when I think about all these details I just want to cry.  It's completely overwhelming when I list it all at once.  But if I think about each 24 hour period and all that can get done and then remember that I have 14 or more of them with Jeyson and then another 14 or so on my own, I feel more hopeful.  One way or another we will get there, just a matter of putting our heads down and pushing forward!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

6 mile walk?!?!!?! I so admire J's positive attitude. Wow!! Exciting times ahead....can't wait for you to get settled....and then come see me!