Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Birth News

The past months have been refreshing for me, but they've also been a lot of work.  And I'm not just talking about motherhood (which can be a handful in itself!).  I'm talking about my certification work with:
I went to a new birth educator training course in Chicago when we were passing through, but that was just the tip of the iceberg in getting certified.  I've been doing a ton of work from Ohio and once I get it all wrapped up, I'll submit my coursework for approval.  I then have to teach the birth course two times and then I'll be certified.  I've gotten a lot done and have a lot more to do.  Here's what I've done so far:

I've read and written several page reports on each of the following books:

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
Real Food for Mother and Baby
The Doula Guide to Birth
Breastfeeding Made Simple
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
(And I'm currently working on) Business Mastery
I have observed:

A breastfeeding support group
A class on breastfeeding for expectant moms
(And I'm in the middle of observing) A three week class on childbirth for expectant parents at the local hospital

Wrote papers on two different beliefs I hold about birth, parenting, etc. 

 The most gigantic part has been completing a study guide about everything related to the classes I will be certified to teach.  It is a study guide of just question after question after question that I had to research and answer...and more importantly, learn about!  The study guide wound up being 58 pages when I was all done!
One of the fun activities was visiting the local hospital to see how birth is routinely done there






And the coolest part of that was getting to do that in conjunction with observing a birth!  


When I got here in town I had no contact with birth whatsoever.  Seriously...none!  But in this whole certification process I have seen God directing me and opening doors left and right.  As soon as I arrived in town I cold called the hospital to see if I could observe birth and breastfeeding classes for new moms so I could fulfill my requirements.  Not only have I gotten to, but I have met some amazing ladies through the hospital.  The local childbirth educator is super nice and has allowed me to learn a lot from her.  Not only that, but she also asked me to speak at a community baby shower for all the new moms in the town and invited me to speak to a group of professional lactation consultants in Columbus!  In both settings I shared about birth in Brazil and a bit of my testimony and how God opened the door for me to have Elijah in Brazil.  It has been really awesome to see how God allowed me to get involved in the birth community here!  
And as if that wasn't exciting enough, The childbirth educator got in touch with the midwife at the hospital.  One of the course requirements is to see a birth.  I have given birth so that can count, but it is really recommended that you observe a birth, as it obviously gives you a different perspectively (literally too!).  So I wrote to the midwife and asked her if there was a chance I could observe a birth (or more than one).  But I seriously had no clue if it could happen since it was such as "cold call" but she said yes!  And the hospital approved it!  And the other day, a young lady went into labor (who coincidentally I had met at the baby shower!) and told the midwife I could watch.  So I went over in the middle of the night and had one of the most incredible and beautiful experiences of my life.  What an amazing process birth is!  It was an all natural birth too.  I just LOVED watching and would love to help women in Brazil in any way related to birth, education, pregnancy, etc.  So it was just such a great confirmation that I'm going the right direction.   Hopefully I'll get to see some more births in the months ahead as well.

Anyway, going back to my to-do list:
Still ahead I have to:

Read and write reports on - The Labor Progress Handbook 
and How to Give it so they Get It

Visit one more birth location

Compile a list of pregnancy, birth, and baby resources available where we live in Brazil

and Prepare the outline for the birth courses I will be certified to teach

I am starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel!  But I'm enjoying it all and learning a lot, so although I'm looking forward to being done, I'm enjoying the journey.


3 comments:

Jeremy and Jamie said...

Quite the project!!! Keep on!!! :)

Susan M. said...

Wow!! What a huge undertaking, but I know you'll have many opportunities to use what you've learned and to build relationships with many ladies when you return to Brazil. Praise the Lord!

Susan M.

Anonymous said...

jordan spizike
I categorically like your website, I can a you hand to a friend jordan retro
? Looking saucy to your affect my website look overjordan retro