Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Home Grown Goodies

One of my favorite parts of living in Brazil, is how easy it is to get natural food right from the food sources. Here's a few things we have around our house right now...

Popcorn from Jeyson's uncle's farm (How fun is that! Home grown popcorn!)
Another one of Jeyson's uncles showed me how to make a homemade yogurt type food called Kefir. It's so easy! You just keep these little cloud-like grains in a container, throw milk on top and let it sit for a day or so. You strain out the grains to use them again and again and eat the yogurt. The grains grow and multiply so you can even pass them on to people. Here's a link to it on wikipedia.

Bananas from Jeyson's parent's farm. This kind turns red when it's ripe...very fun and tastes great!

Milk and cheese also from Jeyson's parent's farm.



Banana jam that Jeyson's mom makes


As well as fresh cream from their farm. So, you're probably getting the idea that when we go for a visit, we come home with our car LOADED with goodies...what can I say...it's true and AWESOME!


But I do make a lot of things on my own too, I promise! Just the other day I was really missing sauerkraut since we don't have it here. I looked up the info and made it myself from a cabbage. It was so easy too!

And the honey we LOVE from a missionary family in Boa Vista. They have tons of bees and harvest it all the time. They sell it for just US$7 per liter! It's great!


Yes...it's true...we're a bit spoiled in this department!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I AM jealous. You have my address so you can send me a shipment of all of this, right?!?! :)