Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Thursday, June 9, 2011

A Cup of Coffee...or Not

Our internet is back up and running, and in the process I learned an important cultural lesson. Here's what happened...A guy from out internet company came out to take a look at our problem. He did some basic checks and then told me we would have to buy a new modem and then configure it and do some other complicated steps. The whole thing sounded pretty overwhelming for people who don't know much about these things. He said though, that the company does not do this for the clients. You have to hire someone to set you up. He then kindly offered to come over after work and do it for us. I asked him how much it costs, and he said I could just give him a cup of coffee. WOW!!! How kind and generous offer, I thought (picturing myself brewing some coffee and the three of us chatting for a while afterwards).


I told Jeyson the great news when he got home and he started cracking up. He said that it costing a cup of coffee means that we have to pay him, but he didn't want to say how much. It would be a small amount, but none the less it would be money, and NOT a literal cup-o-joe! I still didn't believe Jeyson, after all he grew up in Ecuador, maybe things are different there. So, I got a second opinion from my Brazilian friend. She completely agreed with Jeyson and told me this (in her mind) totally ridiculous story of a lady who had once actually served one of her relatives a cup of coffee when he said that would be the cost. Opps....that would have been me!! This man would have told a story about me forever! Thank goodness I have a husband who grew up in South America to keep me in check! And, Brazil, please be more direct with this American girl next time!






PS - In the end the whole process turned out to be quite easy! I got the internet working again a few minutes after buying the new modem. WOHOO!! Now, I should go brew myself some coffee as a reward.

1 comment:

Danielle said...

Ohmygosh that is hilarious!!! I never would have known that!