Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Random Tidbits From the Past Days

- Jeyson's getting ready for some flights to a village.  He and a Wycliffe pilot will be picking up some native believers and bringing them to a more central city for Bible/leadership training.  It's not only a very exciting opportunity spiritually, but also great to get Jeyson up and flying again after many months on the ground while in the US.

- Jeyson needed to get a very thorough government approved physical to start flying again.  This is done in a city two hours away from us.  Anyway, the night before we realized that one of the papers he needed for the physical, his vaccine record, is on the truck on the way to Boa Vista!  After much stress he wound up having to get unnecessarily revaccinated with two shots in order to be approved!  But at least he passed :)  So far that's the only thing we've sent by accident, so that's not too bad.

- Most of the stuff in our house is gone, so we're just living with random things we don't want or need anymore.  We've kept a sense of humor and have actually had many great laughs.  I am using a spatula in the kitchen that broke a while back.  Its handle is only about 3 inches long...makes flipping eggs a challenge!  Elijah has had to eat cereal out of a measuring cup since we packed all of our bowls (we've since borrowed some). I can only bake 10 instead of 12 muffins at a time, since two of the muffin cups on my silicone muffin tin have holes in them and the batter runs out!  lol!  It's been really amusing...and that's only the kitchen.  

- On the other hand, we've realized how little we actually need STUFF.  I mean, we ARE surviving around here without it...true, not quite so easily...but we're still here!  Where did it all fit anyway???  It's kind of a liberating and enlightening experiment.  But I'll definitely be glad when we are settled and I have a full sized spatula again among QUITE a few other items! 

- Elijah's been a challenge lately, but through no fault of his own.  He has had a funky stomach for about 2 weeks (taken him to the doctor twice).  It just cleared up and now he has 4 teeth coming in!  He has a hard time teething too...runny nose, fever, pain, etc.  But we'll still keep him :)

- On the way home from visiting my in-laws this evening, our clutch started having trouble.  This is especially critical so I am not left without a car while Jeyson flies (we only have one car).  Jeyson just finished taking the car apart right now and saw that the clutch needs to be welded.  Apparently this is even likely what a "normal" mechanic would do too, considering parts are hard to come by here.  So, right now at 10pm Jeyson is is off on his motorcycle to a friend's house to pick up electrodes to come back here and weld in the middle of the night or maybe first thing tomorrow.  I seriously have such a talented and hard working hubby.  He takes great care of our family, especially in these areas where I'm a true damsel in distress.  I am praying this will solve the problem (and that it can be put back together) :)

3 comments:

bruce ciotta said...

Here, here on the handy, talented husband! Makes me jealous to think Jeyson can run out on his motorcycle to get stuff he needs to weld all night... Love it!

Danielle said...

Is the car up and running?

Anonymous said...

Hello, I found your families blog through our church and I love hearing what you and your family is doing in Brazil. I hope you don't mind, but I noticed that you are having some trouble with your little one lately. Here is something I recently learned...I hope you don't mind me sharing it with you.
It is from Positive Parenting Solutions.

Quick Tip for Kids Under 3: Instead of “Time Outs” which are not helpful, try one or more of the Remove and Redirect strategies...
· Remove the object
· Remove the child from the environment (This is not “Time Out”)
· Redirect the child’s attention
· Redirect the child’s activity

You will find that you will have many more happy days with your little one. It worked for me. I look forward to continuing reading your blog. I tried to post this on the other blog, but I don't have an account to do so.