Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Baby Room Progress

So it's been requested/required that I post some pictures of the baby room progress. It's really too bad that I didn't take a before picture for you to see that the hardest part has been trying to figure out what to do with all of the stuff we used to keep in here. Here in Brazil almost no houses (including ours) have closets or basements or garages, and our house is just a little over 700 sq ft!! So, this little 9X7.5 foot room has been our storage room for everything from umbrellas and backpacks to Jeyson's tools. After getting that all cleared out (and finding some VERY interesting places to hide these items :) we were on to the decorating. We painted one wall green and Jeyson's SUPER talented sister came and painted a tree in the room on one wall. It came out WAY better than I had ever imagined. Isn't she incredible??? I found my inspiration here

Next, I found some paper lanterns at the dollar store (actually the 1 real store since that's our currency!) and Jeyson put together this little cluster that I saw here ...however much toned down for a boy and for the size room we have!

So this is what we have so far. We still need curtains (my mother-in-law is going to help me make those), bumpers and other bed stuff (in the works) and our rocking chair is coming in from southern Brazil. (They don't have the wooden ones here in central Brazil, but I found a store that can get us one from a southern state) Our carpet is a jeans type material, which is kind of fun...oh yeah and Jeyson is going to make us a cute bookshelf and there is one more much smaller art project I'm requesting Jeyson's sister paint us. Things are coming along!

We bought this little dresser which will double as a changing table surface. (This is on the wall that you can't see in the above picture) We didn't LOVE the dresser, but after LOTS of hunting this was the best we could find and it will do the job. The small baskets will go on a shelf above the dresser and one of the large ones will stay on the dresser with changing supplies. The last big one will probably hold toys somewhere.
Oh, and about the changing pad...I couldn't believe that here they don't have ones with wedge/raised sides. All of them here are just a totally flat cushion! I really wanted the American style for safety, so my mother-in-law had a great idea. She stopped by a store that sells that hard, sponge filling, and had the guy cut us one. It turned out great! Now her friend is covering with with cute fabric and then a layer of plastic/washable clear material for easy washing. Much easier to register for one at Target if we had it! But here you have to be a little more creative and make do. It's been quite a fun adventure dealing with each detail. Now, if only they had bouncy seats here....any ideas on how to make one??? (Just kidding...I think! :)

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Wow!!! Looks amazing!!!! :)

Jeremy and Jamie said...

I love that!!! It is so perfect for a little boy! Get ready for lots of fun!

Mário and Merlyn Milhomem said...

impressive little tree there! lol!