Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Monday, February 7, 2011

The Rule of Three

One wonderful part of Brazilian culture is that people here tend to be extremely optimistic. Whenever you're facing a problem, a common saying that you hear is "Don't worry, it will all work out". Generally speaking, Brazilians like to imagine that the best case scenario is always going to happen. It's wonderful to be around such positive thinking....except for when you're trying to buy something or get a service done. In these cases, I've learned to apply what I like to call The Rule of Three.
What is the rule of three? It's very simple. Whenever you are told the amount of time that a service will take to be done or an item to come into stock, just multiply that by three and you'll have a much better idea on when to REALLY expect that it will happen. But even then, it is only the beginning of the window of when it might happen. It very well might take longer, but after multiplying by three you can start to check in and follow up on it. For examply, you're told your car will take 2 days to fix...it's best to only call your mechanic to follow up on it after 6 days to save yourself a headache. Your friend says she'll stop over in 10 minutes....she probably won't make it over for at least 30 or more so feel free to write that quick email or whatever as you wait. Your visa will take 6 months to process....mine took over 1 1/2 years! No reason to sweat about it as you wait!

The rule of three helps me to feel less frustrated by no longer expecting things to happen in the mentioned time. I simply calculate in mind when it really have a chance of happening and it usually does - this way it seems right on time!

So the other day I stopped by the one store in town that had started selling tortilla chips when we were leaving for furlough. Sadly, they were out of stock :( "Don't worry" the manager told me "They'll be back in next week". After a week I was dying to stop by again, but I had to control myself as it would 99% likely be a waste of gas! Now it's been 2 weeks and I'm still putting it off. Next week I'll give it a try, and maybe, just maybe they'll be in! Though I'm not counting on it. I'll make my salsa to go with the chips only after they're in my kitchen.

Finding your way in another culture is always an adventure! But as they say here, "Don't worry, it all works out!"

2 comments:

Danielle said...

What a wonderful post! And I really admire your attitude. This week I'm memorizing Proverbs 17:22 "A joyful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit dries up the bones". I think the rule of 3 you've come up with is a wonderful way to maintain a joyful heart! Love you, S&J!

Vickie C said...

Sounds like a great approach to lessening stress.