Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Friday, January 8, 2010

Food Swap

What happens in Brazil when you give someone food in one of your dishes or Tupperware containers??? Well, rarely do you get it back......
........Rarely do you get it back EMPTY, that is! One really neat tradition here in Brazil is that every time you give someone food on a plate or bowl of yours, they return it full with food from their home.

Like many cultural differences, I discovered this after a little trial and error when I first got here. I gave a friend a plate full of goodies, and after a long time the plate still hadn't found its way back to our home. One day I asked her about it and she said she hadn't been able to return it yet. I was VERY confused since we see each other a lot. She then explained that she hadn't returned it since she hadn't had time to bake anything to put in it! Ohhhh....I got it!

Since then, I've learned to just wait it out....the container is on it's way....and likely with something even more tasty on it than it had last time I saw it. Above is the container I sent home with my friend/student Angelina one day. I had filled it with cookies and it came back brimming with a delicious chicken/veggie sauce served over polenta. I plan to make another batch of cookies for her ASAP! :)

3 comments:

AndrewKirtland said...

That sounds really cool... Could be fun to try it here... It would get some interesting reactions.

AJ & CJ Kirtland said...

Loved the blog! How fun is that!

Susan M. said...

What a nice custom!

Susan from Keswick :-)