Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Birthday in Brazil

This week I had another one of those "sinking in" moments where I realize "Wow, I really live in Brazil!" This week I got to celebrate my first birthday in Brazil and and what a great day it was! The day started out with my wonderful husband making me breakfast in bed - though I can't post the picture because I'm too embarrassed of how my hair looked first thing in the morning :)
Then I went to teach English at the PETI program. We are working on learning the rooms in a house so we practiced using hand motions to represent each room. Above is us doing the motion for attic.





Left to right is Tiwana, Amanda, Nubia, Ingrid, (me), Ester, Carol, and Luidmila
Then later in the evening two couples from our mission came over to play games and eat dessert.
Recently I was SO excited to discover that a local ice cream shop now has mint chocolate chip ice cream - my favorite! Many of the flavors here are different than the US so it was so exciting to find a favorite from back home.
Aside from the mint ice cream being so great, I can really say it was a terrific day knowing that although I am still adjusting to Brazil in some ways, God has blessed me with wonderful, close friends, the ability to communicate with them in Portuguese, a wonderful husband, and a "job" that I love. I really am so blessed and thank Him!

Then yesterday when all of the birthday fun was over, another exciting thing happened. I was teaching my English conversation group and this week as the Bible study we read and discussed the passage where Zacheus comes in contact with Jesus and he gives away his money. We were talking about the story and one of my questions was "What happened that Zacheus chose to give away his money?" There was a pause and then one of my students really got it for the first time. With big, light bulb-just-turned-on eyes she said "He met Jesus and that changed him!" It was so neat to see this student making steps to really understanding! We then all had a good discussion about how the heart of the Gospel message is encountering Christ and being transformed as a result. Please keep praying for our class!

Well on a different note, dry season is almost over! Brazil doesn't have diverse seasons like the States, but it does have two distinct times of the year - dry and rainy, each taking up about half of the year. When we arrived in March, rainy season was coming to an end and since then it has not rained a drop in about 5 months. As a result it is SO dry and dusty here! Then, yesterday it started....
dark clouds started looming over the city and you could hear thunder. In the afternoon it started to get quite dark! People on our street stood outside watching the coming rain - it reminded me a lot of the excitement of the first flurry of winter. In the end it didn't turn out to be a huge storm, but it marked the beginning of rainy season. Soon we are going to have a thunderstorm almost everyday!

2 comments:

AndrewKirtland said...

I think you should put the picture of breakfast in bed up. I was actually going to do the same thing for Christa tomorrow but it ended up not working out. I am glad that you are getting used to it down there Stephanie and that you found some comforts that remind you of home.

Danielle said...

hehehe me too!!!!!!!!!! Loved this post.