Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Unexpected Furlough Provision

Our big two month nomadic furlough trip to the eastern US is underway!
To kick off the trip, Jeyson flew to Chicago, where we he picked up a minivan that was generously lent to us.  He then road-tripped down to Virginia.  
Meanwhile, the kids and I flew straight to Virginia and we met up at my sister's house.

Months ago as we planned this route, we knew it was best plan in order to avoid the 14+hour trip to Chicago to Virginia with the kids.  But at the same time, I knew it meant flying along with the kids...something I dreaded from the moment we bought the tickets, since it would mean a flight alone with the kids.  Well actually, two flights alone and a several hour layover in Atlanta.  It might not seem like an intimidating trip to you, but for some reason it did to me.  

Maybe it was the idea of  slugging 4 heavy bags on my own,  or maybe because it would mean juggling two kiddos at 30,000 feet or maybe it was that I knew I wouldn't even be able to make a bathroom stop without bringing them both in the stall with me.  More likely however, it was just knowing this was the first step to TWO MONTHS of nonstop traveling and lack of routine.  For whatever reason, somehow I was convinced this trip alone was going to be one of the hardest parts of furlough...and truly it had potential to be!  
But by the time we landed in Richmond, I was amazed that God provided everything we needed and more, from beginning to end of the journey.  

At 5 am in the Phoenix airport, I decided I couldn't make it through this day without a cup of coffee.  In fact, I hadn't even yet enjoyed the unmistakeable taste of a Starbucks coffee since arriving in the US a month before.  So, I decided to wait in the LONG line for a cup o' joe with both kids before we had to board.  The kids waited patiently with me in the line for about 15 minutes and then, every parents' dread happened.  Yep, when we had about only three customers ahead of us in line, Elijah announced he had to go potty.  Total bummer!  I knew I had no choice but to give up my spot in line, but then God gave me a real treat.  

The lady behind me, who worked with Southwest, overheard the situation and insisted that I tell her my order so she could order it for me while I took the kids to the bathroom.  By the time we got back, she had not only gotten me my drink, upgraded me to the largest size, but also insisted I not pay her back!  What a totally, unnecessary, unexpected blessing and reminder that God is taking care of us on this nomadic journey!  



Then, to top it off, on our first flight, right behind us was a family of parents and two grown daughters who were headed also to Richmond (on both of our same flights) to see their other daughter and family off as missionaries to Asia!  They took me and the kids under their wing during the whole journey.    Helping watch one or both of the kids whenever we needed a bathroom trip, entertaining the children, sharing in tons of encouraging conversation, and even treating us to lunch at Chick-Fil-A on the layover! 
Another totally amazing and unexpected reminder of God's care and provision!

We arrived in Richmond a little tired and smelly from a long day of travel, but filled with encouragement from the people we met and the clear care from God in the most unexpected ways on this trip.  My heart was truly full and encouraged!

The next days we enjoyed time with my sister and her family, and then after saying goodbye,
followed was another wonderful reminder of God's provision...to follow in the next post!



No comments: