Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Tuesday Bullets

I haven't been very good about taking pictures since I've been back home.  But here are a few bullet points about what we've been up to.

1. Getting myself and our home really organized.  I feel like we've been just making do temporarily in some areas of our home since we moved here, and I really feel like I'll feel more settled when everything has a place and I have what I need where I need it.  For example, I finally made a list of desk supplies I need (paper clips, rubber bands, etc) and just went out an bought it all.  Ahh, having things in order really makes day to day things run smoother.  But I still have many more areas like that.

2. It's been hot here.  It's the hottest time of the year in Boa Vista (Sept-Dec) and coming back from the States to this extra heat has been rough!

3.  Because of the heat, I've been doing more meals in my crockpot and we've been making at least weekend meals very easy.  Two crockpot meals I just made and loved were short ribs in tomato sauce (served over pasta) and chicken thighs in taco seasoning served with taco fixings.  Just cooked both for hours in the slowcooker until they were falling off the bones and shredded them up.  We also have been grilling, and we both love grilling fish.  It comes with the head and tail and everything around here, but it's so easy...just place on the grill with seasoning and serve with a salad.

4.  Pretty much every last part of one of the airplanes is taken apart.  It's for a special inspection called SID, newly required for older airplanes.  It's VERY involved and since it's new, none of the mechanics have done it before.  Jeyson has taken a big role in the project and is especially needed/helpful since all of the manuals and instructions on how to do the project are in English.  It will take a few more weeks. Meanwhile the other airplane is being relied on exclusively, so if it has any maintenance issues, they have to be fixed immediately since it is the only way the missionaries can get supplies.

5. We just had dinner with two of the missionary families who live in a very remote village.  They can stay there for 8 months at a time with no breaks.  I am completely inspired by all they are able to accomplish and all they sacrifice to serve and it renews our vision for why we are here...to make their work possible.

6. I can't believe Elijah will be 2 this week.  What?  Where's the time going?

7. I was asked to speak two weeks in a row to a group of ladies about birth.  Even though I'll have an hour each time, I don't even know where to start, there's just so much to say and Brazilian women really know so little about the subject.  It's an exciting opportunity though and a great door for ministry and to talk about the Lord.

8.  Our city here has free aerobic classes in the park open to anyone.  It's called "open gym" and is out in a huge central plaza.  A teacher stands on the stage and about 100 people go!  You don't have to sign up or anything, just come.  And there's free equipment to use, like steps for step aerobics

and everything so it's pretty well put together.  MWF 7:30-8:30pm.  I've been trying to go at least once a week.  It's a great way to meet women!


No comments: