Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Monday, March 30, 2009

Ladies, Chutes, a Test, and a Kitten

Where should I start this week? There is always so much to comment on and so many photos to share. We think the best way for you to get to know our lives and ministry would be for you to plan a trip for you to come visit us in Brazil. Seriously! We would absolutely love visitors! Why not consider coming down for a week or so...or even longer!

Well, while you're thinking about it, here are some recent pictures:




Above is a picture of me with two of my advanced English students at the PETI program where I teach English. I recently mentioned these two girls, Ester and Amanda, to you and how I've had some great opportunities to share about the Lord. Each week we also read a little of a children's Bible together and recently I've started teaching them some songs about God in English. It occurred to me that since songs really stick in your mind, it would be great both for their English and seeking the Lord to teach them some songs. They really have been enjoying it, catching on, and remembering. You should hear me teaching them songs in my tone-challenged singing voice....quite awful, but worth it for sharing more about Christ!



On a totally different note, here's a common sight we saw around the airport a few weeks ago. No, Asas isn't teaching parachuting, but the Brazilian miltary is teaching their troops. Recently Jeyson had the responsibility to stay "guarding" the hangar until 10pm (there is a rotation so it happens every few weeks). I stayed with him and we enjoyed a pharachuting show as the plane came around and 10 or so jumped out each time and floated to the ground. It kind of reminded me of the hot air balloon festivals in NJ in the summer time...only a little different :)







Above is a picture of me and the three women in the department that I work in part-time at Asas. Marianne, Franci, and Lori and I deal with the financial end of things at the mission - specifically dealing with missionaries receiving their monthly support. I also have the responsibility of dealing with money and communication that goes between Asas and Mission Aviation Fellowship (US). I won't go into details, but I just want to say that I was surpised about how much I really, really enjoy this work that deals with numbers, money, and puzzles. Is a great change of pace from the rest of my week which is focused on relationships. It is a great, practical way to help in a necessary area of the mission.

Onto yet another subject. Below is a wonderful project that Jeyson made recently....a screen door for our kitchen. Ever since we've moved to our new house, we've had a big problem with bugs flying into our house! So, Jeyson, being a wonderful husband, took his screen makings skills to the next level by making this door. You might remember about 6 months ago he made a screen window. Wow, what's next? A screened in porch?



My picture doesn't do the door justice since it cuts off the pully/weight system he made so it will shut automatically.



A view of the other side





Speaking of outdoor things, it's official we caved and got a pet....a kitten. Actually, let me clarify, actually the kitten sort of found us. About 2 weeks ago one of the guys showed up at Asas from a 2 hour trip and there was a meowing sound coming from the engine of his car. All of the mechanically minded guys finally managed to get out this cute kitten and he went running and hid, scared for his life, behind a compressor all day. Finally at the end of the day Jeyson gave in and brought it home as a surprise...just to give it food, a safe place to sleep for the night (it was raining and all alone at the airport). Well you already know what happened...we got attached and how have a little (mostly) outdoor kitten keeping us company.



These pictures are a little fuzzy since he's scared of the camera's flash. In fact, he was scared of EVERYTHING in the beginning and actually crawled up the back of our washer (outdoors) and hid in it for the first day. He's feeling much more comfortable now, and although I never thought I'd be a kitten person, I have to say I like him a lot. He's very low maintenance, mainly stays outside, can be left alone without us worrying about coming home for him, doesn't need walks, doesn't bark...and good company and ammusing to watch chase geckos :)




Somehow having this kitten really made is sink in....yes, we do LIVE here in Brazil...we're not just visiting or on a short term trip....and although I still miss SO much about home, I'm happy to be here with Jeyson, our fellow missionaries, and the Brazilians we're reaching out to (and Sam the kitten :)

On a more serious note - please pray for Jeyson this Friday as he takes his written commercial pilot's test. Please pray that he can remember the things he has been so diligently studying and that he will pass and move on to the next phase of his training.

2 comments:

Danielle said...

I love Sam!!!!!!!!!!! I knew you'd cave sooner or later! Gus would love to meet Sam sometime!

Jeremy and Jamie said...

Sam is wonderful! He is so cute and he looks so soft! I can't believe that you got him. Great name too!