Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Thursday, June 26, 2008

It's the Small Things

Two blogs ago I wrote about how sometimes it just sinks in that I am living in Brazil. After I posted it, I heard back from several people about how they appreciated that I was "keeping it real" about the ups and downs of my new life as an expatriate. That's such a strange thought...me??? An expatriate? Of course Jeyson has experienced this his whole life, since he's from several different places. Every time he's in Brazil he's an expatriate of Ecuador and vice versa. But for me, it's new and I'm still adjusting. So here goes a little more "keeping it real".



Here many people have asked me what I miss about life in the States. It's hard to really communicate, so let me just sum it up....it's all the little things! It's tortillas and take out Chinese food, it's Ziplock bags and a dishwasher, it's being able to unlock your door from the inside without using a key, and it's the little knife edge on the side of plastic wrap that allows you to cut a piece with having to take the whole thing out of the box and use scissors. It's hot, clean water from your faucet, napkins that are absorbent, and answering machines on everyone's phone. It's the little things. It's the things that make life a little easier and a little quicker. Quicker is definitely a big part of it looking back over my list. Things are much faster in the States because it's the little things that add up to save lots of time.


So what am I learning from all of this?

1. The purpose of life is not to see how quick we can be or how much we can do. It is to glorify God in everything we do...including the little things.

2. I have realized how much I think I have a "right" to these things and other comforts I am used to (even the ones that are much bigger, like a stable amount of money each month). However, nowhere has God promised us these things. These are not rights, and when they do come they are gifts. But we should not assume we deserve them.

3. On a very practical level, I have learned to improvise. I have learned that if I'm really missing a certain food I can try to fill that niche with something similar.....and that brings us to my fun project Sunday afternoon - making my own bagels!


I can't tell you how much I've been missing bagels lately and recently I saw some cream cheese at our local grocery store so I thought I just had to give it a try. It was a bit of a process, but fun! And they turned out great!




I learned that you actually have to boil bagels before you bake them.


So far so good in the oven! I forgot to take a picture of the after (before they were all eaten) but they really looked like the real thing and tasted like it too!

So next time you're eating of a bagel if you think of us, please pray for us as we serve in Brazil and for me as I continue to adapt to my new country!




Meanwhile this week, back at the mission hangar ....











One of the mission's airplanes taking off....











Jeyson was working on fixing a metal hook to tie down the airplanes. This involved welding - which you probably have noticed is one of Jeyson's favorite ways to fix things.


Here's an close up of the project.





It seems like it was successful!

As you might remember, before we came to Brazil we were really sensing God leading us to be part of a small group outreach ministry here but were not sure how to start. Just a few weeks after arriving we were approached by a leader in our church who said he is trying to start that exact ministry in our church and asked us to join a pilot small group, which we were very excited about. Each week we meet together and learn about how to lead a small group and how this will be an outreach to unbelievers. Then, in the beginning of the year we will end our pilot group's meetings and each start our own groups. Every week we look forward to going to the group and really feel like we have become a little family. The thought of dividing up next year is sad...but of course part of the plan. Anyway, we go every week but ALWAYS forget to take pictures. Finally this week we brought our camera so you can meet everyone!

On the left is Cle, who I have become fairly close to and Joao, and of course Jeyson.


On the left is Domingos and on the right is Jailson - the group's leader.


We carpool over to the group with this wonderful couple - Eduardo and Ana

Lastly, before signing off and spending some time with Jeyson, I thought I'd show you these pictures from our little "hike" through a park here in Anapolis with our friends Andres and Camila.


It's a beautiful park here in the city with a big trail looping around to walk around the lake
Enjoying the long walk, but then.....

Suddenly in the middle of the trail the bridge crossing over the lake was just....well not there! It looks like it fell down recently...glad we weren't on it!! Jeyson looks puzzled in this picture....what should we do? Just walk back? In the end we wound up trying to find away around the fallen out bridge and then walking back, but it was worth the fun anyway.

2 comments:

AndrewKirtland said...

I love the idea of making bagels... Sounds like fun... I love the pictures of Jeyson wielding as well looks like a lot of fun... I miss you guys!

Unknown said...

I know this isn't the most recent post, but I really appreciated your thoughs, Steph... I miss hearing them from your mouth though! I'm so thankful for your ministry and am excited to continue hearing about all "the small things"

Grace Guthrie