Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Jeyson, Stephanie, Elijah, & Audrey

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Assembleias, Neighbors, and Grilled Pineapple

Before posting this update, I took a look to see what new pictures we have to share with you. Unfortunately it seems like we've hardly taken any this past week. We need to try to remember to bring our camera with us more so you can have more to see next time. In the meantime, here is one shot of this past weekend's "Assembleia" at the mission. You can see a VERY small picture of me (Stephanie) towards the back on the right side. I'm in the red chair wearing a black shirt. Jeyson is taking the picture so he's not in it.


While the word "Assembleia" in Portuguese sounds like "Assembly" in English - it is not quite the same meaning. "Assembly" ususally means some kind of entertaining show - "Assembleia" was basically a mission-wide business meeting. This meeting lasted throughout Friday and Saturday and although is was definitely not an entertaining show :) important decisions were made for the mission.

Also this week, the leadership was able to meet with Jeyson about when he will begin flying again. They all decided some time next week he will begin again. This was exciting news because it brings us closer to moving to the Amazon region, but it will also mean more unpredictable hours and stress for Jeyson, so we would appreciate your prayer! Also in the meeting the leaders mentioned the possibility of us taking a three to six month trip up to one of the bases in the Amazon region sometime at the end of next year. This would allow us to get more of an idea of what to expect when we actually move there, and it would also allow the leaders at the base there to know how ready Jeyson is (aviation skill-wise) for us to make our big move there verses stay in Anapolis a while longer. This was exciting news, though it is still very up in the air and we won't know for another year or so if we will actually do this.


Another interesting thing that happened this week was more involvement with our neighbor, Etana. She is the neighbor who is a very young, single mother. The other day I, Stephanie, was outside and I saw Etana also outside across the street. I decided (although I really was very nervous without Jeyson to help with Portuguese) to walk over and say hello again. As soon as she opened the gate, she insisted I come right in. I am still surprised by how welcoming Brazilian culture is! Anyway, she invited me in and we had a very friendly time talking. Then, to my complete surprise, she asked me if I want to come over once a week and spend time with her. I quickly accepted and have gone again since. I have learned a lot about her and am thrilled be building this relationship. During our time together at her house, I saw what I thought was a spiritistic looking statue at the house. I asked her about it and she said it is used to keep away evil, though she was vague on whether she actually believed it or it was just decoration to her. Please pray that I will have opportunities to share the truth of the Gospel with her in God's timing.

Lastly, on a totally different note, I thought I would mention a wonderful Brazilian dish we have been enjoying - grilled pineapple. We have eaten it before but never tried to make it - and it came out wonderfully! All you have to do is sprinkle a generous amount of cinnamon on fresh pineapple slices I don't know if canned would work well) and cook them on the grill when you're done cooking whatever else you were making on the grill for dinner. Keep it there a while until it is hot all the way though and looks like it's been grilled (just like you would do to any vegetable you were grilling). It's a great dessert! Brazilians say it helps with digestion after a big meal - I'm not sure about that but it is definitely delicious!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Livros e Revistas, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://livros-e-revistas.blogspot.com. A hug.